[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Jonathan Slavin jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 8 13:18:24 EDT 2011

> I think, "standard" for a user meas always "use the package management
> provided with the system": this is what the user is familar with,
> especially on Linux.

That's only true if you have root privileges -- which not all of us
have.  At home I use the package management system (rpm/yum) but at work
that's not an option.  I have been using "python setup.py install
--user" method, which installs under ~/.local/lib/python/site-packages/,
though I have heard about different (perhaps more robust) approaches.
In any case, I think we should have an install option available for
non-root users.

Jon