[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Nico Nell nicholas.nell at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 8 13:38:06 EDT 2011

I'd just like to make a small clarification for people that don't
understand what the linux package managers are doing.

The package manager is just executing a build script put together by a
maintainer. It generally executes something along the lines of python
setup.py <options..>. This script then handles dependencies,
conflicts, paths, upgrades, etc. So the idea that package managers are
supported in no way excludes a manual install. If anything it pretty
much implies that a manual install method is available in the source
tarball.

The idea of supporting package managers for various operating systems
is a step above the manual method. It's just the idea of trying to
make it easy for a wide variety of users to get the software. So don't
worry, there  pretty much always has to be a manual install method.

~Nico