[AstroPy] proposal for astropy version control software and respository

Peter Erwin erwin at mpe.mpg.de
Sat Jul 16 06:52:20 EDT 2011

I'm concerned that this poll is perhaps a little premature and not
sufficiently well justified. It feels a trifle too much like "A small
group of us got together and decided what to do; we're not really
interested in your input or in explaining our reasons or in having a
wider discussion first, so just vote on it."

(I realize I'm way overdoing the atrribution of sinister motives here,
and I apologize; but this is in rather stark constrast with the ongoing
discussion over documentation, which seems to be progressing well in
evaluating the various alternatives and answering questions raised....)

So... unpack, please!

* Why git, and not mercurial (or even bazaar)?

(My understanding is that mercurial -- which I've used -- is closer
in syntax and commands to subversion than is the case for git, which
argues for mercurial as possibly more accessible to people who
haven't worked with either before, but who have worked with svn or
CVS...)

* Why github, and not, say Bitbucket or Google Code?

(I'm not saying that this has to be a long, drawn-out discussion by any
means; but at the moment the haste and lack of justification tempts me
to vote "No" largely as method of protest.)

   -- Peter