[AstroPy] proposal for astropy version control software and respository

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 09:20:08 EDT 2011

Hi Peter,

I understand your concerns that this might seem premature - just to
explain our motives behind a yes/no poll at this stage: we got the
impression from previous discussions on this list and from the
discussions and success stories at scipy that this was something that
most people would either agree with, or not have a strong opinion
about. We can have had a lengthy debate about the detailed advantages
of git vs hg vs svn vs other if needed, but we wanted to see whether
that debate could be avoided in the first place if most people agreed
anyway, hence the early poll (think of it as testing the waters). But
we do want people to voice concerns or questions if you have any!

For me, the fact that numpy, scipy, matplotlib, and ipython all went
through the pain of migrating to git and github (which did not happen
overnight) should be reassuring, and you can be sure that they all had
lengthy discussions before doing this. This is not a case of 'the cool
kids are doing it, so we should do it too', but I sincerely believe
from previous experience that github is a great platform for reaching
out to a community and getting as many people involved in the coding.

I hope this clarifies things a little!

Cheers,
Tom