[AstroPy] proposal for astropy version control software and respository

Peter Erwin erwin at mpe.mpg.de
Sat Jul 16 14:18:25 EDT 2011

On Jul 16, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Tom Aldcroft wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 5:52 AM, Peter Erwin <erwin at mpe.mpg.de> wrote:

>> * Why github, and not, say Bitbucket or Google Code?
>
> Based on what was evident at the SciPy conference, essentially
> everyone that is using DVCS is using github.  Including Numpy, Scipy,
> IPython.  I talked to people that have migrated away from google code
> (didn't ask precisely why, but the answer that you don't find a ton of
> Python projects there is probably a good one).
>
> During the talk on the amazing work on on IPython 0.11 over the last
> year, Fernando said that one huge factor in their success was using
> github.  They did over 2000 commits and didn't totally hose things up.
> Granted they were coming from bzr/launchpad which has lots of
> problems, but the point is that github's UI is significantly better
> than the rest.  Things like code review and cross-repo compares are
> amazing.  A colleague of mine who is hardcore mercurial did a close
> comparison of github vs. bitbucket and decided that github is way
> better (and decided to use hg-git to basically take his hg repos and
> host on github as needed).

That's actually quite helpful; thanks. (And thanks, too, to Tom Robtaille
for his expansion on this.)

Would I be correct, then, in guessing that the main argument in favor of
github + git is really something like "github seems to be the best place
for hosting this sort of project, and git is required to use github"?
(Rather than something like, e.g., "git is so much better than hg
because X, Y, and Z, and github is a natural place for hosting git-based
projects".)

cheers,

Peter

Peter Erwin                   Max-Planck-Insitute for Extraterrestrial
erwin at mpe.mpg.de              Physics, Giessenbachstrasse
tel. +49 (0)89 30000 3695     85748 Garching, Germany
fax  +49 (0)89 30000 3495     http://www.mpe.mpg.de/~erwin