[AstroPy] Coding Guidelines draft (comments encouraged)

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Mon Jul 18 10:46:26 EDT 2011

On 07/10/2011 01:39 AM, Erik Tollerud wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Now that the vision and name for astropy have been ratified, the
> Coordinating Committee (Thomas, Perry, and I) have been working on a
> draft of coding guidelines/requirements for the astropy package.  The
> intent is to use these items to determine if code in affiliated
> packages can be merged with the core package (as outlined in the
> vision).  I've posted our draft of these guidelines to the wikispaces
> page:
>
> http://astropy.wikispaces.com/Astropy+Coding+Guidelines

And my other small suggestion for the coding guidelines draft:

The example of correct use of `from foo import *` should also encourage
that submodule1 and submodule2 define the __all__ global, so that import
* only imports variables that are desired to be added to the flattened
namespace.

Thanks,
Erik