[AstroPy] APLpy 0.9.6 Release

Astronomical Python astropython at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:22:24 EDT 2011

We are pleased to announce the release of APLpy 0.9.6, which includes many
new features, bug fixes, and improvements.

APLpy is a Python module that makes it easy to interactively produce
publication-quality plots of astronomical images.

Note that we have now migrated the website and source code repository to
GitHub. The website is now located at http://aplpy.github.com/, while the
source code can be found at https://github.com/aplpy/aplpy. In addition,
APLpy is now released under the MIT license.

One of the main new features in this release is the ability to directly
plot RGB images with embedded AVM meta-data. AVM is a standard for
embedding astronomy-related information in images, and includes spatial
information similar to WCS. Many recent outreach images, e.g. from Spitzer
or ESO, include this information. Therefore, it is possible to plot such
files directly without the need for a FITS file. Additionally, the
aplpy.make_rgb_image function can optionally embed AVM meta-data into the
images it produces. More information can be found here:

http://aplpy.github.com/documentation/howto_avm.html

This release also includes methods to show lines, arrows, and polygons, as
well as a 'close' method that can be used to free up memory when plotting
many images. A full list of changes can be found in the CHANGES file.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you encounter any problems with
this release,

Cheers,

Thomas Robitaille, Eli Bressert, and Adam Ginsburg