[AstroPy] Proliferating py-astro-libs

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 23:12:44 EDT 2011

I just wanted to also add that (in agreement with Marshall) I'm all in favor of many small modules that accomplish a particular task well, rather than packages that aim for a 'do-it-all' approach and fall short. It's always possible to bundle small packages together afterwards, and I don't mean merge development, but instead just bundling the packages for installation (kind of like EPD). I think that is the easiest approach for all of us.

Maybe in the long run, a specific set of core packages will emerge as essential and we can then talk about truly merging them into a scipy-like package, but for now, I think the race is still on. And after all, there's nothing to say we *have* to achieve the same setup as in IDL.

Cheers,
Tom