[AstroPy] Proliferating py-astro-libs

Mark Sienkiewicz sienkiew at stsci.edu
Tue Jun 14 15:37:24 EDT 2011

Erik Tollerud wrote:
> I completely agree that an in-person meeting is probably the only way
> to really push this along, and webcasting/conferencing would help even
> more.

You should do it if that's what it takes...

... but I do need to point out that I've seen many projects like this
organized and conducted entirely by email.  You do not need to wait for
the meeting to start organizing things.  You can communicate faster by
speaking in person than by typing email, but you have to include the lag
time in your calculation -- if it takes you 3 weeks to get it together
via email, you can have a lot of discussion before you even start a
meeting that is scheduled for September.

What single person or small group will be the organizer?  Not BDFL, or
even BDFN (.. for now), but somebody to guide the discussion, take
notes, document the current state of the decisions so far, etc.

Any volunteers?

If we have more than one, shall we hold an election?

( This is **important** - there is a lot of useful discussion happening
on the list right now, but it will all be lost if we don't formally make
decisions and accept those decisions into the project. )