[AstroPy] AstroPy Digest, Vol 58, Issue 16

Tommy Grav tgrav at mac.com
Tue Jun 14 16:17:11 EDT 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 3:57 PM, Perry Greenfield wrote:

> You must remember that it was easier with these two projects, particularly numpy. numpy is essentially a pretty clear integrated whole with a series of previous owner from which it was derived. At one point it was developed primarily by Jim Hugunin, then we did numarray, then Travis essentially merged the two.
>
> Not quite so simple for scipy, but scipy started out mostly as gluing together existing libraries. As such, there weren't a lot of architectural decisions to make about interfaces (and I think some complain about the lack of consistency still as a result). These involve many, mostly mature, libraries that had their own primary developers (and still do for the most part).
>
> In this case, we are talking about remaking much of the astronomical software from scratch with many different kinds of potential users. So I think in many respects, this is much more difficult than either numpy or scipy had to deal with in organizational terms.

No question it is more difficult, which I think is one of the major reasons current efforts have
not managed to gain more traction in the community. I think some general guidelines before
packages are accepted into the library is needed, and that takes some leadership by the most
dedicated of the developers (and also the bravery to say no to packages that have a coding
style that clashes to much with the main part of the package). But no question this is going
to be a challenge and lots of work and time to get to the point where numpy and scipy are
today.

Cheers
  Tommy