[AstroPy] Deployment and packaging

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Tue Jun 14 22:11:28 EDT 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 9:44 PM, Tommy Grav wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2011, at 9:12 PM, Perry Greenfield wrote:
>
>>> - Base Python binary installation with NumPy, SciPy, matplotlib
>>
>> But how to distribute binaries? And what about non-Python tools that
>> are useful in the suite of astronomical tools?
>
> Maybe I am misunderstanding, but when I am looking for a python
> astronomy package I don't want a slew of non-python tools. What
> I am looking for is packages that are useful as packages to use
> in my own python codes. pyfits and pywcs are great examples of
> clean python packages that are fairly easy to install and use
> in python code. I am hoping and advocating that astropy/astrolib
> becomes something like scipy, rather than just a bag of disparate
> package that have little on common than astronomy.

You may not, but many others do. IRAF is only one example. SExtractor
is another. And there are others. There isn't yet enough to replace
these, and won't be for some years (if ever, it is probably silly to
think everything we need will be in Python, or that there won't be
some very useful things out there not written in Python).

Note that scipy is not easy to install everywhere.

So, certainly, standard Python installs for separate tools should be
available. We aren't talking about making that go away.

Perry