[AstroPy] Proliferating py-astro-libs

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Wed Jun 15 09:50:48 EDT 2011

On 06/14/2011 04:50 PM, Erik Tollerud wrote:
> Actually, I think it might be better to have a smallish group do this
> (3-5), assuming enough are willing.   But otherwise, I think the
> wikispace-based nomination process makes sense.
>
> I think more than one is better mainly because the BDFL/BDFN model may
> not be entirely fitting here.  It works well for Python because Guido
> wrote the initial code base himself, so it already had a clear vision.
>   In this case, we're talking about combining a number of disparate
> approaches and ways of working, so a group with somewhat different
> perspectives makes sense.  But as long as it's small enough (3 is
> probably ideal), it hopefully will still be able to quickly agree on a
> unified approach.

+1 to this.  I was thinking it might be a bit awkward to have one person
who didn't write or even originate 99% of the code we're talking about
dictating those projects.  Of course, even with 3 or 5 people you still
have people making decisions for projects that they did not create.  But
making it a handful of people instead of just one person is still an
improvement.  It makes the personality of the BDFL less of an issue.

Erik