[AstroPy] Deployment and packaging

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Wed Jun 15 11:05:45 EDT 2011

On 06/15/2011 02:29 AM, Erik Tollerud wrote:
> PyPI also handles binaries, although admittedly not as cleanly.  But
> aren't most of the "expert" users going to have compilers? In that
> case tools like pip easily install anything with a C-extension from
> source.  If the concern is about binary *dependencies* that aren't in
> the python ecosystem at all, the dizzying array of possible platforms
> and versions to support makes me think that it's a problem that we
> don't have the people-power to solve.

Right--it's impossible to try to support all possible platforms
directly.  However, I don't think it's a bad idea in principle to
organize "platform x" support under the AstroPy banner, but as
sub-projects related to each platform.  Those platforms would have to
have a champion interested in maintaining support for them.

Erik