[AstroPy] ratholes

Mark Sienkiewicz sienkiew at stsci.edu
Thu Jun 16 12:50:26 EDT 2011

I note that the discussion of packaging has completely displaced any
discussion of what astropy is, what it does, or what might be included.

I also note that the packaging mechanism does not matter if we have no
software to package.  Let me offer this:

- astropy can be installed with "python setup.py install".

- astropy can be installed with "pip install astropy".

- Anything that can be installed via those methods can also be
distributed via _any_ of the other packaging mechanisms under
discussion, subject to someone committing to routinely perform the
packaging work at each release.

I suggest that we declare these three statements as "good enough for
now" and get back to answering the question "What is astropy?"

Mark S.