[AstroPy] Deployment and packaging

Lisa M Winter lisa.winter at Colorado.EDU
Thu Jun 16 13:07:41 EDT 2011

matplotlib on a Mac, this is not a trivial feat for the average user.
You need to install the correct versions of C, fortran, etc., in order
to get things to work properly.  I hadn't found any easy binary
installs either.  While looking for installations for my undergrad
research students this summer, we tried the standard installs, got
frustrated, and turned to the extremely easy method of installing
everything with Enthought (a packaged python distribution).  A decent
set of instructions will be crucial for the packaging of the data so
that standard users like myself can get things running smoothly
without spending days trying to get everything set up (which happened
the first few times I tried installing on my own).

Sincerely,
Lisa Winter