[AstroPy] Deployment and packaging

Lisa M Winter lisa.winter at Colorado.EDU
Thu Jun 16 14:00:20 EDT 2011

Peter, it looks like you are using Mac OS 10.3?  I hadn't found any
binary installations that work with Snowleopard... and now of course
we will need to worry about Lion.  Then there was the issue of how
this all works on a 64-bit machine.

There is a tutorial on: http://blog.hyperjeff.net/?p=160, which I had
tried.  However, I ended up with errors in several points going
through this.

I think that the average user is likely to see a website like this and
give up at some point through the process if they get too many errors
and continue to use whatever package they are used to (e.g., IDL).

Also, I agree with Brad, matplotlib was difficult to install, until
you use a distribution like Enthought that just gets everything
working.  I didn't like using Scisoft, however, because it installs
multiple copies of some applications I've already installed (like iraf/
pyraf).  Plus, I'm not sure all the distributions are up to date.

Lisa