[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Mon Jun 27 18:51:15 EDT 2011

Sounds pretty good, but I'm balking a little bit at NO external
dependencies. Obviously we can't have an unmanageable proliferation
of them, but having none would seem to imply, for example, that we
can't include anything that uses a database -- unless we're going to
bundle the whole database into *each* "affiliated package" that needs
it. It's no good making that an optional import if the database is
central to what the module does. Perhaps one of you can elaborate a
bit on what you were thinking here? Are you expecting AstroPy only to
include lower-level algorithmic/library functionality? I'd have
thought there is also room for library routines that are closer to an
application level, which a user can interact with more directly.
Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong angle though (it's quite
late here and I haven't thought about it that long yet)? I won't
suggest an alternative until I understand better what you had in mind.

Yes to calling it AstroPy.

Cheers,

James.

On 27/06/11 16:16, Thomas Robitaille wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In the last week, Erik, Perry, and myself have been discussing how
> best to coordinate the development of the common Python Astronomy
> package. We have now converged on a common vision, and would now like
> to know whether you would be happy with it too. The vision and a
> poll are available at the following pages:
>
> vision: http://astropy.wikispaces.com/vision
>
> poll: http://astropy.wikispaces.com/vision-polls
>
> In addition, 'astropy' has been suggested by several people as a name
> for this common package, so rather than creating a multi-option poll,
> we've created a simple yes/no poll to find out whether you would agree
> with this name. The idea is to have a name that does not endorse any
> specific existing project, is in line with numpy/scipy, and reflects
> its initial development via this mailing list. The poll is located at
> the same URL as before.
>
> The polls will be open unti Friday 1st July at 9pm EST.
>
> Thanks!
> Thomas

James E.H. Turner
Gemini Observatory Southern Operations Centre,
Casilla 603,		Tel. (+56) 51 205609
La Serena, Chile.	Fax. (+56) 51 205650