[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Tue Jun 28 06:14:56 EDT 2011

> To clarify, we're not intending  to completely disallow other
> dependencies, but only stating that they should not be used
> *initially* when the package is imported.

Oh, more a coding practice than a restriction on what dependencies
are used? I suppose I read this as saying that if a dependency is
essential (so you would normally import it at the top) then it's
not allowed. OK, we'll I'll vote yes too and we can see how it
goes :-).

I agree with the case-by-case review of dependencies. After some
careful selection we should end up with a pretty standard base
platform that astronomers can rely on to be there plus a few
optional features that require extra dependencies.

James.