[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Luigi Paioro luigi at lambrate.inaf.it
Tue Jun 28 06:16:50 EDT 2011

Dear all,

   I have just voted the global vision giving my general agreement. Yes,
a bit of discussion would be certainly appreciated, but I guess that
this is just a starting point and not a final document. For this reason
I tryed to add a comment to my vote, but the wiki system raised an error
and thus my comment hasn't been committed. So, my general comment is this:

The vision document says:

"[...] Initially, no dependency on GUI toolkits will be allowed in the
core package. If the community reaches agrees on a single toolkit that
could be used, then this toolkit will be allowed (but will only be
imported as needed)."

While I agree that initially no dependency on GUI toolkits should be
allowed in the core library, I think that it would be desirable to reach
an agreement on a single toolkit ASAP.

Maybe GUIs are not really important for the core library, but most of
the programs we have written so far at INAF-IASF Milano (SAMPy included)
rely on a GUI toolkit (alas, usually diverse). If I could unify them
making them compliant with the AstroPy endorsed toolkit, I would be happy.

Think about this.

Cheers,

   Luigi