[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 20:02:31 EDT 2011

Just to quickly address the process here:  The idea was that the
vision document in particular needed to be drafted with a somewhat
coherent vision, so we wanted to offer it for a vote quickly so as to
get a sense as to whether everyone was on the same page here (so far
at least, in seems most people are, given the votes and clarifications
here).

For future documents such as coding style and other planning
documents, we will likely be issuing drafts and solicit
comments/suggestions before putting a modified version to a vote.  In
this particular case we felt that speed and consistency of vision
would help the process proceed more quickly and stay organized,
especially given that most of the details in the document are still
open for change if it's desired.

On the topic of GUIs, the thought was that it would be difficult to
come to a consensus given how many different toolkits are in use and
the fact that the learning curve is a fair bit steeper... so it would
be great to settle on one, but it might alienate a fair number of
otherwise interested developers, or reduce the knowledge base so much
that we couldn't get off the ground for GUIs.  That said, I personally
favor TraitsUI and the related Enthought tools, but I know there are
other opinions...

Erik Tollerud