[AstroPy] Ubuntu packages and state of AstroLib

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Mon Mar 14 12:52:09 EDT 2011

> are there Ubuntu packages available for AstroLib? And/or are the packages
> for Debian or are there any efforts to create such?

I don't think so so far, but...

> Since I need pywcs for Ubuntu, I would volunteer to create such a
> package, but I'd like to avoid doubling effort.

Be aware that pywcs is also being distributed with STScI Python now,
so you might even have it already.

Of course it would be good to have Astrolib easily installable,
rather than just sitting in the repository for developers to grab.
In future I expect it will be part of the easy-install Python
distribution we have started working on. Unfortunately it has taken
rather a long time to get the documentation server set up that was
requested last year, to help make Astrolib more accessible.

STScI are more familiar with what's already there than I am and
might have better guidance re. their intentions etc. (they are
probably reading this).

Cheers,

James.