[AstroPy] Ubuntu packages and state of AstroLib

Sergio Pascual sergiopr at fis.ucm.es
Thu Mar 17 11:28:37 EDT 2011

2011/3/17 Michael Droettboom <mdroe at stsci.edu>:
> As for the library naming confusion:  libwcs is from SAO/NRAO and is shipped as part of wcstools [1].  wcslib is a standalone library by Mark Calabretta [2].  The latter is what pywcs uses.  But perhaps confusing is that wcstools will compile against either.  pywcs only supports wcslib.  I believe each of these has a common ancestor, but wcslib has been updated more recently and has more features.  You may end up having to call the package "libwcslib" to avoid confusion, though perhaps "libwcs" will only ever be installed as part of "wcstools".  For example, on Fedora, packages exist for Calabretta's called "wcslib", and for "wcstools", which includes libwcs.  I'm not familiar with the Debian/Ubuntu world on this.

I would add here that wcstools is, as it name says, a set of tools
(programs). The base library of these programs is called libwcs. What
is very unfortunate because it's the name of the library shipped with
wcslib (there's an open bug in Fedora about that). wcstools contains
code of some old version of wcslib.

Sergio

--
Sergio Pascual                        http://guaix.fis.ucm.es/~spr
gpg fingerprint: 5203 B42D 86A0 5649 410A F4AC A35F D465 F263 BCCC