[AstroPy] Putting astronomy packages on PyPI

Luigi Paioro luigi at lambrate.inaf.it
Wed May 4 05:03:15 EDT 2011

I agree with you. A common packaging system for the astronomical
software would be desirable in general, but, at least for the Python
based software, we already have PyPI + pip, and I think there should be
a shared effort to promote such system. This is one of the reasons that
has led me to put SAMPy available on PyPI.

Take also into account that, in principle, distutils/setuptools packages
can be extended in order provide additional features specific for the
astronomical community, if needed. For instance, within the context of
the OPTICON funded FASE project, I have already coded an extension which
allows to compile C code as libraries and/or executables (along with
extension modules, of course)... so far it is not as flexible as `make`
but, at least on Linux, it works... I can imaging a future
implementation supporting even other languages (Java, FORTRAN, IDL,
...). This futuristic vision, if realized, would be a great revolution
in the astronomical software, but everything starts from little efforts
like just putting packages on PyPI, as Erik and Tom are sustaining.

Best regards,

   Luigi