[AstroPy] Putting astronomy packages on PyPI

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Wed May 4 12:21:09 EDT 2011

On 05/04/2011 08:15 AM, Thomas Robitaille wrote:
> Finally one thing that we should look at closely is pip bundles:
>
> http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/index.html#bundles
>
> Apparently this is not stable at this stage, but the idea would be to be able to distribute many packages together, which should clearly be of interest to us.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

I've looked into using pip bundles for stsci_python and Astrolib.  But
as you said, it's warning about instability made me lose interest.
Also, it won't work with easy_install which some people still use no
matter how many times we tell them to use pip :)

Instead, each project that make up Astrolib and stsci_python are
individually installable, and will bring with them all their
requirements.  In addition, there Astrolib and stsci_python
"meta-packges" that just have as requirements all the projects that
comprise them.

Erik