[AstroPy] Practical Python for Astronomers web tutorial

Jean-Luc Menut jeanluc.menut at free.fr
Wed May 25 10:39:47 EDT 2011

> The decision to use "pylab" was a deliberate one based on the desire
> to present Python as a simple and easy tool for the research
> astronomers that participated in the workshops.

I agree with you. If you have to teach python as a replacement for
idl/matlab/whatever, it as to be as simple as the tool it replace. So
using ipython -pylab is a good start.

In a second step you can  introduce the concept of namespaces (and give
a good example for why this is really important).

J.L.