[AstroPy] Practical Python for Astronomers web tutorial

Mathieu Servillat mservillat at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri May 27 12:19:50 EDT 2011

Hi Kelle,

not sure I'm the best person to answer, but I indeed had to face
conflicts between Scisoft and EPD (on Mac). I want to use pyraf, but
also the latest python distribution and packages. Basically, if you
install EPD after scisoft, the different PATH are set for EPD and pyraf
won't start.

I have both Scisoft (2010.10.2b) and EPD (7.0-2) installed, and my dirty
solution to be able to use both is in the .bash_profile:

   #import my python scripts
   export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/.../scripts/python/...

   alias setpyraf="export
PYTHONPATH=${PYTHONPATH}:/usr/local/scisoft/packages/python/lib/python2.6/site-packages/"

   #setup scisoft (as recommended)
   . /usr/local/scisoft/bin/Setup.bash

   #Setting PATH for EPD-7.0-2 (automatically added)
   PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:${PATH}"
   export PATH

So when I want to run pyraf I simply have to type setpyraf before and it
works! (however I'm not sure I understand everything, and maybe someone
can develop this with a cleaner solution). I believe the conversion of
this to csh or tcsh will work in the same way.

Cheers,
Mat

On 27/05/11 11:50 AM, Kelle Cruz wrote:
> Such a great resource, thanks guys!!
>
> We've decided to do the workshops during the first two weeks of our
> CUNY/AMNH REU program and so far, I anticipate one problem: Scisoft.
> There's a bit in the Installation workshop about handling packages
> with multiple python installations
> (http://python4astronomers.github.com/installation/packages.html#multiple-pythons-on-your-computer),
> but I would like some specific advice on how to handle existing
> Scisoft installations.
>
> Specifically, if we want to keep Scisoft installed for the IRAF
> installation (which we need for pyraf, right?), but NOT for the Python
> install, what should we do? I figure there's some combo of environment
> variables that need setting/unsetting in the .tcshrc and if someone
> can point us in the right direction, that would help get us started as
> smoothly as possible.
>
> Are there any other conflicts that I should anticipate with installing
> the EPD on computers that have existing Python installations?
>
> Thanks for your advice!
> kelle
>
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Tom Aldcroft
> <aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu <mailto:aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu>>
> wrote:
>
>     My colleagues and I would like to announce the availability of a web
>     tutorial aimed at teaching Python to astronomers through a series of
>     interactive workshops:
>
>     http://python4astronomers.github.com/
>
>     Practical Python for Astronomers is a series of hands-on workshops to
>     explore the Python language and the analysis tools it provides. The
>     emphasis is on using Python to solve real-world problems that
>     astronomers are likely to encounter in research.  Some features:
>
>     - Workshops immediately use plotting, analysis, and file reading
>     tools.
>     - Along the way elements of the Python language are introduced.
>     - Workshops are interactive using examples run by participants on
>     their laptops.
>     - Comprehensive instructions a given for installing a full Python
>     environment.
>
>     There are two goals.  First is to provide tutorials suitable for
>     self-study by those wishing to learn Python for astronomy.  The
>     greater goal is for those knowledgable in Python to teach the workshop
>     series at their local institutions, adapting the content as desired.
>     To that end we have developed the content in Sphinx RestructuredText
>     and hosted the source on github at
>     https://github.com/python4astronomers/. Anyone interested can clone
>     the repository or download a tarball and make modifications needed to
>     present the material locally.  We would also welcome comments, fixes,
>     or suggestions for improvement. This can be done as a Github issue or
>     pull request, or by sending email to aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu
>     <mailto:aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu>.
>
>     The workshop material here was presented in the Spring of 2011 at the
> [...]

Dr. Mathieu Servillat
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
60 Garden Street, MS-67
Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
+1 617 495 7275
mservillat at cfa.harvard.edu