[AstroPy] Practical Python for Astronomers web tutorial

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Fri May 27 13:32:47 EDT 2011

Yes, starting with vanilla IRAF might save work overall.

Now if only I could find the time to finish up the Python/IRAF
installation we've been working on, for wider distribution...

James.

On 27/05/11 13:26, Tom Aldcroft wrote:
> As people have noted, getting SciSoft and EPD to play together and
> allowing easy switching between environments could be tricky.  For
> Kelle's original need to set up a bunch of summer REUs to go through
> the tutorial and then use PyRAF, I would recommend uninstalling (or
> ignoring) the SciSoft installation and installing IRAF / PyRAF from
> the base of EPD.  This requires possibly more work up front, but if
> you have 10 new students and start playing around with paths and links
> on each laptop I think there will be trouble.  Also, do they *all*
> have Macs?  If not there need to instructions for linux as well.
>
> If anybody can provide a specific IRAF / PyRAF installation guide
> assuming a clean EPD7.0 install on Mac and/or linux, that would
> tremendous!  This would be immediately included in the Practical
> Python Workshops.  I'm a bit on the busy side this week and have
> travel impending so I don't think I can do this right now...
>
> Thanks, Tom
>
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM, James Turner<jturner at gemini.edu>  wrote:
>> I think you could get started by allowing EPD to set up its environment
>> as normal and then setting "iraf" and "IMTOOLRC" (and possibly "host")
>> to point to scisoft (compare with what they're currently set to). You
>> might need to set "tmp" too (don't ask why). Of course you'll also need
>> to add the "bin" directory with all the symbolic links to "cl" etc. in
>> your "PATH". Disclaimer: I have no real experience with SciSoft and hear
>> it's IRAF setup is quite quirky, but this kind of thing works for my own
>> source installations. Following Chris's suggestions might be safest.
>>
>> When you install PyRAF, I think you'll need the EPD environment set up
>> first.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> James.
>>

>> On 27/05/11 11:50, Kelle Cruz wrote:
>>> Such a great resource, thanks guys!!
>>>
>>> We've decided to do the workshops during the first two weeks of our CUNY/AMNH
>>> REU program and so far, I anticipate one problem: Scisoft. There's a bit in the
>>> Installation workshop about handling packages with multiple python installations
>>> (http://python4astronomers.github.com/installation/packages.html#multiple-pythons-on-your-computer),
>>> but I would like some specific advice on how to handle existing Scisoft
>>> installations.
>>>
>>> Specifically, if we want to keep Scisoft installed for the IRAF installation
>>> (which we need for pyraf, right?), but NOT for the Python install, what should
>>> we do? I figure there's some combo of environment variables that need
>>> setting/unsetting in the .tcshrc and if someone can point us in the right
>>> direction, that would help get us started as smoothly as possible.
>>>
>>> Are there any other conflicts that I should anticipate with installing the EPD
>>> on computers that have existing Python installations?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your advice!
>>> kelle

> [...]

James E.H. Turner
Gemini Observatory Southern Operations Centre,
Casilla 603,		Tel. (+56) 51 205609
La Serena, Chile.	Fax. (+56) 51 205650