[AstroPy] Installing scisoft on MacOS 10.6.7

David Johnston dave31415 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 11:01:30 EDT 2011

I have been trying to install the usual set of numerical packages on my Mac
laptop, numpy, scipy, matplotlib etc. I also need to be able to read jpegs
and other images so I see that I probably need PIL.

My system is Mac OSX 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard). This is intel core duo
hardware.

After much work, I have been able to install numpy, scipy, matplotlib but
not PIL. This is under python 2.6.6. numpy 1.5.1, scipy 0.9.0, matplotlib
1.0.0. PIL.Image.VERSION=1.1.7

I can import PIL but it fails to work properly. I think I got it to read
jpeg files but the Image.show() method failed with
 raise ImportError("The _imaging C module is not installed")

I also tried installing scisoft. I tried versions 2011.17.1 and 2011.1.1.
Neither were able to import  scipy.

Anyone have any advise for installing scisoft on 10.6.7 or some alternative?
Dave