[AstroPy] got centroid?

Warren J. Hack hack at stsci.edu
Fri Apr 13 11:19:35 EDT 2012

Wolfgang,

There is a star-finding routine in the soon-to-be-officially-released
drizzlepac package available from STScI.  This routine can be run on its
own (it is all in Python after all), but a stand-alone interface to run
just the star finding has not been documented yet.  It is just a single
function call that requires a numpy array of the image and a few
numerical parameters and I can point you to examples where it is run
within a larger task if you contact me directly. Anyone familiar with
DAOFIND from IRAF will be able to use this code easily.  If you want to
check it out, you can get this code in pre-release beta form (in binary
for Mac or source for other platforms) from:

     http://stsdas.stsci.edu/irafx

We have found that it can provide RMS on point sources of <0.1 pixels
(and seen 0.03 pix RMS in some cases), but your mileage may vary.

Warren Hack
Science Software Branch
STScI