[AstroPy] pywcs 1.10-4.7 install failure on Microsoft Windows

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Tue Jan 3 08:33:14 EST 2012

My apologies that this isn't working for you -- I don't have access to
Visual Studio 9.0 to test with, so these sorts of things can fall
through the cracks.

Mark is right that the old solution involved patching wcslib before
shipping it with pywcs.

However, as of version 1.10 (which you are using), the solution was to add:

    #define wcsset wcsset_

on Windows.  This works with the mingw32/cygwin compiler, but apparently
failing on the Microsoft compiler.

There is an even newer solution in pywcs SVN which defines the following
on Windows.  This I believe to work on the Microsoft compilers based on
the report of another user:

if sys.platform == 'win32':
     define_macros.append(('YY_NO_UNISTD_H', None))
     define_macros.append(('_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS', None))
     define_macros.append(('_NO_OLDNAMES', None)) # for mingw32
     define_macros.append(('NO_OLDNAMES', None)) # for mingw64

You can either splice this into your current copy of setup.py, or build
from SVN.  Note that building from SVN currently requires having parts
of stsci_python installed (notable stsci.tools.stsci_distutils_hack).

Mike