[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] ANN: Astropy v0.1

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Tue Jul 10 12:46:42 EDT 2012

The issue with CFITSIO in pyfits is confusing.  Pyfits only uses pieces
of it to support tile-compression--everything it needs from CFITSIO to
do that was cherry-picked into a single file called fitsio.c (the 220K
file mentioned elsewhere in this thread).

It sort of makes sense that it would do that, as CFITSIO in its entirety
(including documentation) is about 13 MB uncompressed, and most of that
is not needed in pyfits.

fitsio.c does document which source files in the original CFITSIO that
functions were cherry-picked from.  However it also states that these
functions were "copied and modified" without specifying how or why they
were modified.  Maybe someone else at STScI has a better handle on the
history of that.  There have been a couple big fixes to the code in
fitsio.c that don't seem to have been upstreamed to CFITSIO.

Finally, I don't know exactly what version of CFITSIO the code in pyfits
was based on, but it hasn't been updated in 3 years.

It might be worthwhile for me to update/refactor this a bit so that
there's a better record of what CFITSIO version is used, and what has
been changed.  I think the cherry-picking approach still makes sense for
pyfits/astropy since CFITSIO is a large-ish library.  I think
cherry-picking can still work while also supporting linking against a
system version of CFITSIO.

As for zlib, CFITSIO does include its own copy.  I don't know how the
Debian package for it is handling that.  Seems like a bit of a mess
worth trying to unravel.

Erik