[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] ANN: Astropy v0.1

Tim Jenness tim.jenness at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:02:24 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Erik Bray <embray at stsci.edu> wrote:

> Finally, I don't know exactly what version of CFITSIO the code in pyfits
> was based on, but it hasn't been updated in 3 years.
>
> It might be worthwhile for me to update/refactor this a bit so that
> there's a better record of what CFITSIO version is used, and what has
> been changed.  I think the cherry-picking approach still makes sense for
> pyfits/astropy since CFITSIO is a large-ish library.  I think
> cherry-picking can still work while also supporting linking against a
> system version of CFITSIO.

If it helps, I have an unofficial cfitsio git mirror at
git://starlink.jach.hawaii.edu/cfitsio.git cfitsio-git - The vendor
branch has every tar ball release since about v3.06 in it. I built it
from the distribution tar files since I needed a git cfitsio for
Starlink. Might help you work out which version your files originated
from (once you've split them up again). You might want to consider
shipping the cfitsio files you need in separate files to make it
easier to keep upstream fixes available. You could also consider
having a git submodule for cfitsio code where you have a pyfits branch
that only retains the files you need. That would make it even easier
to track upstream. I would be happy to push my cfitsio repository to
github (I was trying to do that anyhow).

--
Tim Jenness