[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] ANN: Astropy v0.1

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Wed Jul 11 12:13:22 EDT 2012

On 07/10/2012 11:33 AM, Ol? Streicher wrote:
>> In any case, moving it to cextern as you suggest.  (I don't remember
>> the conclusion of the wcslib dicussion--was it going to be moved into
>> cextern as well?)
> As far as I know, there is no (documented) decision on that yet.

My plan is to (a) wait for a release of wcslib with the necessary
patches, and then (b) move our local copy into cextern, and (c) provide
a setup.cfg switch to use the system wcslib rather than the included one.

I also plan to do (c) for expat, I just haven't got around to it yet.

> But the machine that creates the packages has nothing to do with the
> machine where it is finally installed (Debian provides ready-to-use
> binary packages). So, I would like to be able to *create* the pyfits,
> pywcs and votable legacy packages even if the original ones are already
> installed on my build machine -- I will just put the files in the
> according package, and not use it here directly.
>
> The patch for this is quite simple, but a documented switch would be
> more robust.

PR #302 added an option to disable legacy shim building.  You're
suggesting here that it would also be nice to have something that
*forces* legacy shim building?  That should be easy enough to do
following the pattern laid out in #302.  Just wanted to confirm that
adding a `--enable-legacy` commandline arg to setup.py that would always
build the legacy shims would be helpful here.

https://github.com/astropy/astropy/pull/302

Mike