[AstroPy] transferring ownership of astropy.org to numfocus

Paul Barrett pebarrett at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 07:04:10 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Perry Greenfield <perry at stsci.edu> wrote:
> Currently the astropy.org domain is held by STScI. There was recent
> discussion amongst the astropy coordinators whether this should be
> held elsewhere. One natural place seemed to be the numfocus
> organization that was recently formed. They are willing to own (and
> pay the small annual fee) for the domain name. This seems like a
> sensible solution to have the domain held by such a organization
> rather than by a specific astronomical institution. But they wanted to
> know if there was any objection from the astropy community before
> doing so.

> Is there any?

Perry, can you provide more information about the numfocus
organization?  I've looked at the web site, but do not get a clear
picture of the organization's motivation and long term goals and
stability. The latter aspect seems to be key issue, i.e., the long
term stability.  Given the inherent instability of the scientific, and
in particular, astronomical community, particularly during these times
of reduced to non-existent funding, some additional clarification
would be helpful.  I don't mean to be critical, given my lack of
support to astropy during the last few years, but such an explanation
would allow me to give my whole-hearted support to your request.

While we are on the topic. Since, I have somewhat been maintaining and
monitoring this, the astropy, maillist for about the past decade, do
you envision this maillist to be integrated with the numfocus or
astropy websites?

 -- Paul