[AstroPy] Heliocentric Velocity Correction

David Berry d.berry at jach.hawaii.edu
Mon Jun 11 06:27:43 EDT 2012

On 11 June 2012 10:36, gonghang.naoc <ghang.naoc at gmail.com> wrote:

>    Thank you.
>>
>> I just want to get  the radial velocity  a star  in heliocentric
>> coordinate.I think the the heliocentric correction depends on the position
>> of the observatory,but the input parameters of astrolib.baryvel  are just
>> dje and deq.The result is a 3d velocity.My question is  whether the velocity
>> is the velocity of the  center of the earth and if not,whether I can input
>> the observatory parameters,i.e. longitude,latitude,elevation.

The heliocentric correction depends on the rest frame from which you
start. If you start with a topocentric velocity (i.e. relative to the
observer), then the correction will need to take account of the
observer's position. If you start from a geocentric velocity (i.e.
relative to the centre of the earth) then the correction will not
include the observers position.

I read the documentation for the astrolib.baryvel function as meaning
that the returned velocity is the velocity of the centre of the earth.
It can't really be anything else given that it just takes an epoch and
equinox as input.

So you want the full 3D velocity of the star, rather than just the
apparent radial velocity?

David