[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] ANN: Astropy v0.1

Olе Streicher astropy at liska.ath.cx
Tue Jun 19 11:19:31 EDT 2012

Hello,

Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud at gmail.com> writes:
> On behalf of the Astropy team, I'm excited to announce the first
> release of the Astropy core package: v0.1!

Congratulations!!! It is nice to see that this work progresses!

I just downloaded it and had a quick look from the perspective of
packaging it.

Just a few questions/comments:

* I very much like the idea of having the external C code in a specific
  diretory tree "cextern" since this makes it easier to split this part
  and use the versions provided with the OS. I would guess that also
  the "wcslib" part will move from pywcs to cextern?

* Will pywcs survive as external package or shall we consider moving
  from pywcs to astropy.wcs in the medium term?

* I would volunteer to do the packaging for Debian (and Ubuntu).

Best regards

Ole