[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] ANN: Astropy v0.1

Michael Droettboom mdroe at stsci.edu
Wed Jun 20 14:35:37 EDT 2012

On 06/19/2012 11:19 AM, Olе Streicher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud at gmail.com> writes:
>> On behalf of the Astropy team, I'm excited to announce the first
>> release of the Astropy core package: v0.1!
>
> * Will pywcs survive as external package or shall we consider moving
>    from pywcs to astropy.wcs in the medium term?

pywcs is still being maintained, at contains all of the bugfixes that go
into astropy.wcs. It will probably be maintained (since we use it a lot
internally) until astropy is a viable replacement for everything.

My other contribution, io.vo is less likely to be maintained as a
standalone package. It would benefit enormously from being moved to the
new Table package in astropy, which would obviously introduce a major
dependency on astropy, so that work may as well only happen within astropy.

Mike