[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] ANN: Astropy v0.1

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Wed Jun 20 14:46:44 EDT 2012

On 06/20/2012 02:35 PM, Michael Droettboom wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 11:19 AM, Olе Streicher wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Erik Tollerud<erik.tollerud at gmail.com>  writes:
>>> On behalf of the Astropy team, I'm excited to announce the first
>>> release of the Astropy core package: v0.1!
>>
>> * Will pywcs survive as external package or shall we consider moving
>>     from pywcs to astropy.wcs in the medium term?
>>
> pywcs is still being maintained, at contains all of the bugfixes that go
> into astropy.wcs. It will probably be maintained (since we use it a lot
> internally) until astropy is a viable replacement for everything.
>
> My other contribution, io.vo is less likely to be maintained as a
> standalone package. It would benefit enormously from being moved to the
> new Table package in astropy, which would obviously introduce a major
> dependency on astropy, so that work may as well only happen within astropy.

The astropy.io.fits package will likely at some point move toward using
astropy's Table class as well for representing FITS tables (actually
probably a subclass of it with support for FITS-specific warts).

I haven't decided yet exactly how that work will be backported to
pyfits--it might mean including a snippet of Astropy in pyfits.  We'll see.

Erik B.