[AstroPy] Image combine

Derek Homeier derek at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Wed Mar 7 10:40:32 EST 2012

On 7 Mar 2012, at 16:17, Perry Greenfield wrote:

> Do you have any good example of code like this is successfully
> distributed to users in the wild? So far, the dependencies on the
> specific GPU hardware seem to make this impractical right now. But
> maybe I'm missing something.
>
> And I'm also a bit confused by the first statement. Are you arguing
> that we should be porting SPP to GPUs?

I'd agree that optimisation is an important issue; enabling GPU is one part of that,
classical parallelisation (multi-core/shared memory first) another part.
But these are rather two sides of the medal; if the basic tasks are not available
people will not be willing or even able to switch from IRAF or other suites.
The best perspectives for speed-ups OTOH lie most likely in the underlying
routines, i.e. for the most part the numpy core routines or even below (like the
general-purpose numeric libraries numpy or scipy are calling), and that is
where any optimisation effort is best spent - just my 2p.

Cheers,
						Derek