[AstroPy] APLpy 0.9.8 Release

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 04:59:22 EDT 2012

We are pleased to announce the release of APLpy 0.9.8, which includes
many new features, bug fixes, and improvements.

APLpy is a Python module that makes it easy to interactively produce
publication-quality plots of astronomical images.

Since 0.9.6, we've made extensive changes to the core APLpy code to
allow us to support plotting of FITS files with arbitrary coordinates
rather than just sky coordinates, and to also allow slicing of
multi-dimensional data cubes. It is now very easy for example to make
position-velocity plots from a 3D FITS cube.

We now have a documentation page regarding arbitrary coordinate systems:

http://aplpy.github.com/documentation/arbitrary_coordinate_systems.html

as well as regarding slicing (in particular, check out the example):

http://aplpy.github.com/documentation/slicing.html

There are a number of other new features and bug fixes in this
release, including minor ticks and the ability to initialize
FITSFigure with Numpy arrays or FITS files with no WCS information.
You can read about these and other changes in the following file:

https://github.com/aplpy/aplpy/blob/master/CHANGES

If you use pip or easy_install, you should now be able to update to 0.9.8.

Note that if you are a Mac user, 0.9.8 is now available via MacPorts
(you will need to type 'sudo port selfupdate' to see it). For more
information on using MacPorts for Python, see:

http://astrofrog.github.com/macports-python/

Please report any issues via GitHub:

https://github.com/aplpy/aplpy/issues

Cheers,