[AstroPy] AstroPy meeting? WAS: SciPy 2012

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 21:44:53 EDT 2012

Yes, another coordination meeting is definitely in the plans,
tentatively at STScI - we were considering summer, but I think we may
be tilting in the direction of pushing until fall again (to avoid the
summer science conference season).

A suggestion for the interim (from Tom R): videoconference
coordination meetings (most likely google+ hangouts) every couple
months or so?

We might also consider "virtual sprints," either with the videocons or
smaller sprints that we might schedule at SciPy or elsewhere.

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Tom Aldcroft
<aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I agree with Erik here about SciPy, and I might have blown my
> conference (time) budget already with PyCon.  That said, I'm having
> trouble making enough time for AstroPy so a dedicated meeting and
> sprint might be welcome.  We had talked about a followup meeting,
> perhaps at STSci?
>
> - Tom
>
> p.s. Didn't want to hijack the original thread so I renamed it here.
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Erik Bray <embray at stsci.edu> wrote:
>> On 03/28/2012 02:36 PM, James Turner wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm just wondering who is thinking of attending SciPy in Austin this
>>> July 16-21:
>>>
>>>     http://conference.scipy.org/scipy2012/
>>>
>>> I've been asked by the organizers to help out, but am just figuring out
>>> what my plans are, since it clashes with a couple of things. If there's
>>> enough interest, I would propose an AstroPy sprint during the last
>>> couple of days, where people (including me) can get started contributing
>>> and focus on one or two areas of missing functionality, compared with
>>> eg. IRAF or IDL.
>>>
>>> I gather the next AstroPy co-ordination meeting is likely to happen
>>> separately elsewhere, due to people's limited availability during the
>>> conference season, but SciPy is a good venue for wider exposure and for
>>> participants to learn about other Python tools (eg. NumPy, Matplotlib,
>>> GPU libraries, symbolic mathematics, you name it...).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> James.
>>
>> I'm probably going to hold off until I see what tutorials get
>> accepted--the tutorials were kind of the highlight of SciPy for me last
>> year.  I don't recall getting too much out of the talks.  Not that there
>> was anything wrong with them, or that there weren't some very
>> interesting ones. Just that there were only a handful I felt that I took
>> much away from that's of immediate use to me.  But that's just me.
>>
>> That said, I don't mean to sound down on SciPy. And an Astropy sprint
>> would be a great incentive.  I can't believe it's already been nearly a
>> year since last time...
>>
>> Erik

Erik Tollerud