[AstroPy] API question: Instantiating of time/coord and similar

David Berry d.berry at jach.hawaii.edu
Wed May 2 03:08:23 EDT 2012

Hi Wolfgang

If you are writing an object-oriented coordinate handling system,
PyAST may give you some ideas (see
http://dsberry.github.com/starlink/pyast.html). It's a python
interface  to the WCS coordinate handling system used by the DS9 and
GAIA image browsers amongst other things.

On your specific question, fifteen years of using AST has convinced me
that separating the definition of the coordinate system from the
coordinate values themselves leads to greater flexibility. So AST has
a "Frame" class that defines the properties of a coordinate system,
and then it has a PointList class which encapsulates a Frame  and
numerical axis values for a set of points. So using pyast, an
instantiation of a PointSet to describe a set of points on the sky in
galactic coords would look like this:

import starlink.Ast as Ast
frame = Ast.SkyFrame( "System=Galactic" )
points = Ast.PointList( frame, [[ 120.2,78.0], [118.3,77.0], [115.6,72.3] ] )

So for instance with a separate Frame class, it is natural to have a
Frame method that automatically generates a transformation between two
Frames:

frame2 = Ast.SkyFrame( "System=ICRS" )
ICRS_to_galactic =  Ast.Convert( frame, frame2 )

("ICRS_to_galactic" is a "Mapping" that allows numerical axis values
to be transformed from "frame" to "frame2").

or to create compound Frames by combining two or more Frames into a
more complex coordinate system. For instance, a Frame to  describe a
3D spectral cube:

frame3 = Ast.SpecFrame( "System=VELO, RestFreq=1.0E15, StdOfRest=LSRK" )
cubeframe = Ast.CmpFrame( frame, frame3 )

and you can use Frames for lots of other purposes (e.g. creating trees
of Frames connected by Mappings to describe a library of coordinate
systems, etc).

David