[AstroPy] API question: Instantiating of time/coord and similar

David Berry d.berry at jach.hawaii.edu
Thu May 3 11:45:49 EDT 2012

On 3 May 2012 16:39, Wolfgang Kerzendorf <wkerzendorf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This topic has expanded a lot;-)
>
> So adressing point 1: Yes, you're technically right. That both of these things do coordinate transformations. But there are many coordinate transformations in astronomy and in astropy we don't have a one-size fits-all mentality about them (in my sense for good reason). For example, switching between different units, doppler-shifting spectra , etc... all are technically coordinate transformations, but we treat them differently and not through one coordinate transformer.

Is there a reason for that?

> I propose to keep a world coordinate system (transforming from an array-index coordinate system to an other coordinate system (e.g. RA, DEC)) separate from astronomical 2d coordinates (Equatorial with different epochs, Galactic with different epochs). The 'world coordinate system'-package will be much broader in the sense that it will do arbitrary transforms from array-coordinate systems to anything else (in simulations data the axes might be lengths, or temperatures, ....).

If the user wants the value of an image at given galactic coords, but
the image is calibrated in (RA,Dec) then why not combined both
transformations (pixel->(RA,DEC) and (RA,Dec)->(galactic)) into one? I
don't see how pixel coords are fundamentally or practically any
different to any other coords - you do the same sort of things with
them all.

David