[AstroPy] API question: Instantiating of time/coord and similar

Wolfgang Kerzendorf wkerzendorf at gmail.com
Thu May 3 14:53:13 EDT 2012

But AST doesn't handle unit conversion (e.g. from Kelvin to eV) which are also coordinate transformations, because it has a different focus (namely astronomical images and now spectra). For now, we have made the distinctions: time, celestial coordinates, SI units, world coordinate systems for array based data.
That doesn't mean, we don't want them working together: you give a world coordinates system a pixel coordinate, it gives back a celestial coordinate (with units degrees) which I then can easily convert to galactic coordinates. For example

mycoord = myimage.wcs.pix2world(200,300)

mycoord.units is in degrees

mycoord.to_galactic() will return the galactic coordinates.

As I said it would be easiest to show your implementation on an example:

One way we plan to do it is:

mytime = time.from_jd(245423423423)
mytime.to_utc -> will give back a datetime object

mycoord = coord.from_equatorial(200, 20)
mycoord.units  (is degrees).
mycoord.to_galactic -> gives back a tuple with galactic coordinates in degrees

How would this work in AST (pseudo code).

Cheers
  Wolfgang

The world coordinate system is meant to not specifically be designed for 2D/3D arrays