[AstroPy] comments on coordinate system and wcs packages

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Sat May 5 11:25:57 EDT 2012

Remember this is also not an either/or situation.

I've taken to heart that there are users that want access to very
vanilla arrays for whatever reason (they may be good reasons or bad
reasons, but if you want them to use it, you have to keep that in
mind). It could be that they have their own fancy objects and whatever
object you present is inconsistent with theirs. Sure, we'd like
everyone to use a common set objects, but there are cases where the
common scheme won't fit certain uses. So long as it is simple (and
efficient) to get at the results as regular numpy arrays, that
shouldn't preclude a more complex representation that lets one access
different coordinates by name.

Furthermore, don't lose sight of the fact that labeled axes are
definitely planned as one of the numpy enhancements (the idea and
prototype implementation has been around a while now). It would be
wise to avoid a design that can't easily take advantage of that. That
really would seem to be the natural solution once the capability is
available.

Perry