[AstroPy] Cross matching two source lists

Christoph Deil Christoph.Deil at mpi-hd.mpg.de
Fri May 11 08:30:38 EDT 2012

Hi Tom,

STILTS [1] and TOPCAT [2] have excellent cross-matching functionality, provided via the STIL [3] library.
You can browse the code online [4].

Unfortunately it's all Java and can only be accessed from Jython, not CPython [5].

Because all my analysis scripts are CPython I am saving my source lists to FITS files and make an external call to stilts for the cross-matching at the moment.

Having similar functionality in astropy would be great!

Christoph

[1] http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/stilts
[2] http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/topcat/
[3] http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/stil/