[AstroPy] novas on PyPI

Brandon Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Mon Oct 1 09:55:34 EDT 2012

I am very excited that the Naval Observatory now supports Python, so I
have taken the liberty of registering their NOVAS_Py release under its
package name "novas" on the Python Package Index:

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/novas/

I also followed the instuctions they give about building the ephemeris
that its documentation seems to consider the default, DE405, and have
released it as a separate (and rather large, of course!) Python package
"novas_de405" that is also now on PyPI, so that the library can be
installed and used with the simple pair of commands:

    $ pip install novas
    $ pip install novas_de405

I added a few lines of code to the "novas" package (look for my name in
the comments that braket the addition) so that if it would normally exit
with an error about a missing ephemeris file, but then detects the
presence of the "novas_de405" package, then it will use the data inside
"novas_de405" as its ephemeris automatically.

Please let me know of build errors in any of the environments in which
you try to use the package, and I will help you get them fixed!

--
Brandon Rhodes      brandon at rhodesmill.org      http://rhodesmill.org/brandon