[AstroPy] astropy in Debian, Scientific Linux?

Sergio Pascual sergio.pasra at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 17:50:22 EDT 2013

Hi,

the past year we had a discussion about SOFA, an IAU library astropy
depends on, see the details here:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/astropy-dev/QVpMZFlsQUo/discussion

In short:

 * The Fedora legal team reviewed the SOFA license and they considered it
non-free.
 * I wrote the SOFA board asking for a license change, they did not
answered my request
 * SOFA and (any program depending on it) *astropy* cannot be included in
Fedora or EPEL (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux) with the current SOFA
license.
 * astropy could be included by *removing* SOFA and the modules depending
on it (astropy.time ?)
 * somebody could package SOFA and astropy in rpmfusion.org, which provides
non-free/free-with-legal-problems packages for Fedora and EPEL
 * or in a different Fedora repository that provides
 * I think the situation in Debian is different

Not having precompiled packages available in Fedora/EPEL is very bad for
astropy in my opinion. From a small sample of 20
Professors-Postdocs-Students in my Astrophysics Department, I can say that
only those doing software development use "pip". The vast majority use
"yum" in Fedora or "fink/macports" in Mac to bring in the package and
continue doing Science.

Regards, Sergio