[AstroPy] astropy in Debian, Scientific Linux?

Erik Bray embray at stsci.edu
Mon Apr 8 09:18:31 EDT 2013

On 04/07/2013 07:17 PM, Sergio Pascual wrote:
> Disclaimer: I'm a packager in Fedora Linux
>
> John,
>
> pip will download the tarballs of python packages and compile them using the
> available tools in the system. That works well for pure Python
>   packages, but once you start with packages with C dependencies things grow
> fragile. For example, pip won't install the ATLAS libraries if you don't have
> them and you are trying to build numpy. Other packages such as scipy and
> matplotlib are difficult to build properly using pip unless you know what you
> are doing.
>
> So, in my opinion, a precompiled package is much better solution for a casual
> user, someone that wants to write a short script and get a plot quickly.
>
> Unless, of course, you don't have root access.
>
> Regards

For what it's worth, Python has a new officially blessed binary distribution
format for Python packages called "wheel".  Unlike the old egg format, it is
based on a standard, and also supports non-pure Python packages well, including
better indicators for platform support.

For Astropy we've already experimented with building wheels for Numpy and SciPy
for use in our continuous integration tests (to avoid having to re-build those
packages repeatedly).  Right now wheel support is only included in the
development version of pip, but I suspect that once there's a public release
with that support we'll start getting some official wheel distributions for
projects such as those.

Now, this does not negate the problem of wanting Astropy in OS package managers,
but it does help a great deal with installation for average users.

Erik