[AstroPy] Astropy demo presentations.

Kathleen Labrie klabrie at gemini.edu
Wed Aug 7 15:37:58 EDT 2013

This is a brilliant idea Demitri!   That would be so useful.

Kathleen

On Aug 7, 2013, at 6:56 AM, Demitri Muna <demitri.muna at gmail.com<mailto:demitri.muna at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,

On Aug 7, 2013, at 12:28 PM, Leo Singer <lsinger at caltech.edu<mailto:lsinger at caltech.edu>> wrote:

Next week, I am supposed to give a tutorial on Astropy during a 'bootcamp' session of the iPTF workshop (http://ptf.caltech.edu/iptf/iptf_workshop/srk_agenda.html). I am interpreting this as an introduction to Python itself as well. I have half an hour, but I am asking the organizers to extend that to a full hour. Are there any tutorial resources on Astropy that I should know about? My idea was to put together a presentation as an IPython Notebook and go through a few different common data analysis tasks.

This raises a request I was going to bring up. For each major release, can we (as a group) put together an Astropy demonstration for each major release? This way when there is a new release, people at any institution would have something to demo for their department, e.g. at their morning coffee. I think many more people will give such a presentation if it exists versus sitting down to write one and give it. I'd recommend a five minute version and a half-hour version. These should be available coincident with the releases, and highlight the major functionality of Astropy. If one has to choose between a full introduction and a "what is new since the last release", I'd opt for the former, but both would be ideal.

Cheers,
Demitri

Demitri Muna

Department of Astronomy